Happy New Year, Pretties!
My original vision for this blog was to share a weekly list (hence, the name of my blog) of what inspired me that week and little odds and ends that made my week a little bit prettier. Somewhere along the way, I completely went askew from my vision, and had a blog name that didn’t really express what my blog was about. So, when reflecting back and making my end of year review, I realized that and realized how confusing that made my blog. So this year, I’ll be returning to my original goal for this blog and publishing weekly lists of life’s pretty little moments. (Don’t worry, the other fun will be sticking around, too!) First on the list, my motto, goals, and resolutions for having the best 2018!
MOTTO for 2018: IMPROVE + SIMPLIFY
I want to simplify my life and routines so that each day runs as smoothly as it can. Now, I’m not naive enough to think that every single day will be a walk in the park, but I can take the necessary steps to de-clutter my house and life so that it makes a significant impact. I want to improve on several things in my life, most importantly: my schedules and routines, time management, my blog, and my work. If at the end of the year, I can look back and say that I improved, then that’s good enough in my book!
1. Read. In 2018, I want to read more books, and not for business or work, but for enjoyment/entertainment. After all, the whole point of reading a book (or listening—I listen to a lot of audiobooks at work while I’m back in the lab) is to completely escape and turn off your mind. Reading, in a sense, is my version of yoga.
2. Put all payments on auto draft + mark these on the calendar (so I know when they’re coming out of my account). This will be a part of the simplifying of my life. The worst feeling is realizing you have a payment due (or overdue) and rushing to the computer to pay it. If the payment is on auto draft, there is less stress and more simplicity + relaxation.
3. Stick to my schedules. I’m a very Type-A person who craves have the free spirit of a Type-B person. I try to live life spontaneously and on the fly, but always get myself into trouble by missing tasks or postponing things to long when I try this type of lifestyle. I need to realize that I’m a schedule/routine person and that my life is best lived by following my schedules.
4. Get back to church. I’m ashamed and embarrassed that this even has to be a resolution of mine. Life gets crazy and things get pushed to “I’ll just do it on Sunday before the week starts,” and before you know it, life’s little odds and ends get the priority over going to church. Not this year, though. I will be going to the early morning service so that #allthethings can be done after! I know that by doing this, my life will have more meaning, and I’ll be setting myself up for a much better week ahead.
5. Stretch + Cardio. I’m the worst about getting to the gym and just jumping straight into heavy weights with no stretching or warm up sets (much to Mac’s dismay). And if you think I’m bad about not stretching, then I don’t even know where to begin with cardio. I always feel so great after cardio that it should be a no-brainer to do it, but I think it’s that I’m simply too lazy. So this year, I vow to stretch and warm up before sets and to add at least 30 minutes of cardio at the end of my routine!
6. Spend less time on social media + more time being present. Whoa, this a big one, and one that Mac has been after me for a while about! The truth is, I don’t even realize how often I’m on my phone, and that’s a huge problem. So even though my hobby (this blog) is primarily social media/phone based, I’m going to practice disconnecting more at night to make time for the things that matter most!
7. Unsubscribe. I’m going to be cleaning out my inbox and unsubscribing from all of those pesky emails I get all day every day and make room for the important ones! Here’s the tool I’ll be using to help: unroll.me
8. Unfollow. This one sounds harsh, but hear me out. Moving forward with my blog, I’m trying to create a certain aesthetic that is truly representative of who I am. Sometimes, I get a little too inspired by completely random things on Instagram and Pinterest and it completely throws off my vibe. So in order to stay authentic, I will only be following those who truly inspire me and that I can relate, too.
9. Have a grocery list template. Simple, right? But how many times have you had to add the same things to your list over and over and over again? I’m going to be making a template with the first items on the list being what I always buy each week (milk, bread, eggs, etc.) so that I can save time when making out my list for the week. (Side note: I absolutely despise wasting food, so I only buy what we need for the week and nothing more. In doing this, I can ensure that a very minimal, if any, amount of food is wasted. Plus, this ensures that I’m not tempted to buy whatever looks good at the time.)
10. Pay off credit cards. This is by far my favorite resolution! I sat down and budgeted myself for the year and my two cards will be paid off in no time! Sitting down and making a budget for myself, I realized that I spend a TON of money on pointless little things (looking at you Starbucks and Target dollar aisle). So while I’ll be paying things off, I’ll also be able to start saving a ton of money, which makes my financial advisor boyfriend SO happy!
I have other surprises and changes up my sleeve that I can’t share just yet, but just know I’ll be striving to make this your little home on the internet where you can always come to find inspiration and happiness for living your prettiest life possible!
What resolutions are you making this year? Wishing each and every one of you the happiest New Year possible!