DISCLAIMER: This blog post provides general information and discussion about medicine, health, and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. The views expressed on this blog post and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice, or other institution with which the author is affiliated.
For this week’s blog post, I wanted to share my favorite products and supplements that go into my daily health and beauty routine. Personally, I focus on products that are mild and anti-aging (let’s be honest, I’m trying to look like I’m in my twenties for the rest of my life), but that are also going to combat acne, because at 24 I am still dealing with breakouts. Finding the perfect skincare routine used to seem a bit like Mission Impossible; however, I have found some great products that have really helped my skin! This post is going to be a bit personal and contains a lot of vulnerability, but here we go…
To make it short and simple and to get straight to the point, I have never had great skin. No one in my family has; in fact, we have pretty awful skin (acne, psoriasis, rosacea, you name it…we’ve got it). So I kind of feel a bit like a phony writing this, but I’m writing it in hopes that someone with a similar story will read this and realize that it does get better (and that you don’t have to drop loads of money for it to get better).
Let’s take a little trip down memory lane, shall we. All throughout middle and high school, my face was in a complete and constant state of breaking out. Not long after the breakouts started, I began seeing a dermatologist who put me on a harsh prescription acne cream and daily antibiotics that I stayed on for quite some time. Well, that didn’t do a thing except wreck my microbiome (this is a can of worms we’re just not even going to open yet) and give me ultra-sensitive, overly dry skin. All of which led to even more breakouts.
Fast forward a few years to a new dermatologist and a new treatment plan. This plan included getting tested for PCOS (which I did not have), routine laser skin treatments, new products, and routine chemical peels. These treatments were super painful and pricey (I literally shudder at the amount of money my sweet, sweet mama dropped just trying to find a solution to my breakouts), very inconvenient, and only provided a temporary solution—more treatments would always be necessary to keep getting results. My poor skin was SO sensitive at this point (and still is).
Now, we’re finally at the good part! I started doing my own research, ditched the harsh and pricey treatments, and designed my own routine that was both manageable and affordable. Y’all, the difference it made is absolutely astronomical. Now that’s not to say that I don’t still have breakouts or deal with sensitive skin; that’s still very much a part of my life, but it’s manageable now. And for me, that‘s exactly what I need. So alas, my skin and health routine…
Skin Care and Health Routine
- One A Day Women’s Multivitamin (gummy). I may be 24 years old, but I still cannot take a vitamin that isn’t in gummy form.
- Probiotic. In my opinion, this is the most important one of all. Being a microbiologist (and one who used to work in probiotic formulation), I’m probably a bit biased; but, take my word for it that they are essential for overall health. I’ve linked one of my favorites, but what I really look for in a probiotic is a good ratio of Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus (I won’t bore you with the scientific articles behind them).
- Fish oil/Omega 3’s. Fish oil could quite possibly be my favorite supplement I take. Taken regularly, it makes my skin so luminous and really reduces my breakouts. The fish oil that I currently use has a lemony smell and taste, so you don’t have to worry about smelling fishy or those awful fishy burps (gag!).
- Collagen Peptides. This is a relatively new addition for me, but one that I think is super important. Here’s a great blog post explaining more, but basically it’s a miracle anti-aging product—and reversal!
Skin Care Routine
- Clarisonic. A bit of an investment, but definitely an excellent one! I use the sensitive skin head on mine and it gently exfoliates my skin leaving it really clean, but not aggravated!
- Mario Badescu Glycolic Foaming Cleanser. Harsh on acne but gentle on skin! Plus, it’s the best anti-aging cleanser
- Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner. Again, gets rid of my breakouts but is still gentle.
- Clinique Smart Custom Repair Serum. Undoubtedly, using products with any kind of acid (even the gentle ones) will dry your skin a bit. This serum is great for giving my skin the extra bit of moisture it needs.
- Clinique Smart Custom Repair Eye Treatment. I think this is one is pretty self-explanatory, but basically, I’m just trying to avoid getting crow’s feet.
- (Day) Nº7 Beautiful Skin Day Cream. I love this moisturizer because it’s light and oil-free meaning it won’t lead to breakouts. Whatever moisturizer you choose, just make sure it has SPF in it!
- (Night) Clinique Smart Night Custom Repair. Using a night cream is also relatively new for me but I can’t reiterate enough for hard I’m trying to fight aging! (Yes, I’m aware it’s inevitable, but a girl can try, right?)
- Revision Black Mask. While this one isn’t a necessity, I like to add this in every once in a while to really clean out my pores.
What products/supplements do you insist on? Do you use any of these same products? Let me know in the comments below!
(Sidenote: I am a huge fan of antibiotics. They are awesome, but only if used CORRECTLY aka not too long!)